Monday, April 5, 2010

Wildflowers


Today was another glorious, 75-degree day. It was a good thing that I brought my camera on my walk, because the first spring wildflowers are in bloom. I ended up sitting on a rock in the FDR field enjoying the last of the day's sun, while several owls had a hoot-off in the surrounding woods. There is no better way to spend an afternoon than tramping around barefoot in the woods and fields during these first real spring days.

I'm pleased to report that our pickled ramps are quite delicious, so we're definitely going to make more this weekend. On Saturday night I made a wild soup of potatoes, ramps, garlic mustard, chickweed and lots of nettles, finished with cream. Sadly the potatoes and cream are not wild. Super tasty, and very healthy too!

Our Easter celebration basically morphed into a dumpling-fest, as my friends and I made potstickers, empanadas, and pierogies, as well as a whole leg of lamb - grilled - and a bunny-shaped carrot cake. Aren't we festive...


bleeding heart


ramps!




nettles


faux black widow?


trout lily - notice the spotted leaves
will make you vomit!


bloodwort


bleeding bloodwort stem
quite toxic


skunk cabbage
not really edible unless you dry it first




I suppose you could eat this sucker if you really wanted to...
I'm not sure who would win




pink bleeding heart


garlic mustard
very tasty and spicy




glory of the snow



2 comments:

  1. Jeffrey Dennis PearceApril 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM

    Kelsey,

    Your blog is fantastic. It's simple and understated in design, which brings out the beautiful photographs and the clever text. I see a cook book in your future with your own feral recipes and photographs. I know that you and your sister will succeed at whatever you set your hearts to do.

    We had a great time talking to your sister and parents at the poultry show in Monroe on March 20, and they told us all about what you are up to. I hope we get to see you when you get home from school. Keep up the good work!

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeffrey! That means a lot to me.
    I also look forward to seeing you this summer!

    Hope you and your family are doing well,
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete