Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy February!!

I was told that the cherry tree back home in Washington is now in full bloom. Things are a little different here:


Friday (the last day of the Middle East menu) was a very good day - it was almost fun! Paul and I whipped through our prep, demoed early, and received virtually no criticism of our food (the mujadra did need a tiny bit more seasoning).

I spent the vast majority of my weekend doing homework - researching for Spain, doing the costing project, and preparing all new time lines, game plans, recipes, etc, for the new menu.

Monday through Wednesday will be spent learning and cooking the foods of Spain. My station is serving chuletas - grilled pork chops with piperrada (a sweet-tart sauce of roasted red peppers, tomato, onion, and garlic), rosemary-garlic-duckfat roasted potatoes, and spinach sauteed with pinenuts. The prep work is less involved compared to the last menu, but achieving the proper timing for the chops and potatoes is tricky.

Other main dishes include Trout a la Riojana, Mar i Muntanya (rabbit and shrimp stew), Rabu de Toro (oxtail), and Paella de verduras (vegetable paella). And then there's the vast array of tapas, which I will discuss later.

In the meantime, here are some tree photos.




the camo tree

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsey!! Your Mom turned me on to your blog. And wouldn't you know; you're a writer too! Are sharing recipes? A Mexican friend of mine made a dinner for me very similar to the one you describe. Especially the potatoes with garlic and duck fat; wow, so deeply delicious. The sauce sounds lovely. I rode with your Mom last Sunday. We had lots of fun as we do galloping through the forest like crazy women! Oh dear. Love your blog Kelse! Sara + 3 girls

    ReplyDelete