Monday, March 7, 2011

This Week


Sorry my postings have been so inconsistent - the cows have taken over my life! But things (specifically Tess...) are finally settling down. She's finally trusting me again, and actually going into the stanchion to be milked. It sure beats milking her in a stall when she's trying to spin in circles! She's giving a lot of milk now - 6 or 7 gallons per day, in addition to what the calf nurses. I'm slowly working my way back into the cheesemaking, so most of the milk for now is going to our friend's pigs. But I did make butter today! It was quite pale for Jersey butter, but then again our grass hasn't come up yet. Give it a few months and it will be golden, even orange. I let the cream culture (sour) overnight to give it a bit of tang, then churned it in our KitchenAid stand mixer as usual.

The (still nameless) calf is doing very well. He is astonishingly active - I've never seen a calf run so fast and buck so much for so many hours a day! I'll have to get a video.

My mom would like to point out that in the back of this picture, you can see Cheerio the horse. Cheerio is our Quarter Horse mare, and she just celebrated her 13th birthday. I'm not sure how celebratory this occasion was for her, however, since she had to wait an extra minute while my mom made us sing "Happy Birthday" to her. She had eyes only for those carrots.

Coming this week:
Update from the greenhouse
Photos from the NW Flower and Garden Show!
My new orchid purchases
AND... my new chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment