Friday, March 16, 2012

Scenes from the farm


Turkeys and goats - the two most prevalent animals on the farm. Except these turkeys aren't pets - they're wild. Spring turkey season is open and I just bought my HI hunting license. Tommy better watch his back....


Every single mammal and gamebird species on this island was brought in (with the exception of the Hawaiian hoary bat), which has led to quite an interesting array of animals: feral goats, sheep, mouflon, donkeys and pigs, turkeys, pheasants, quail, francolins, mongoose and more. And unfortunately these non-native mammals are destroying native habitat and leading to the extinction of hundreds of native plant species.
But they sure are tasty! I hope to do my part in saving Hawaii's wilderness while I'm here ... one pig and sheep at a time. I'll let you know how it works out!






Geckos and anoles are also very common, and do a good job keeping down the fruit fly population. They also eat my bananas when I'm not looking.


Avocados aplenty - and papaya, bananas, guava, and citrus. The massive avocado tree on the farm drops a dozen or two every day. Nobody leaves here without a sack full, whether or not they want them.


Jazz, a "Snubian".
I'm gradually learning all the goats' names (yes, all one hundred have names), but it's a long, slow process!

No comments:

Post a Comment