Sunday, March 14, 2010

The woods are alive with the sound of ... food!

I spent three hours outside on this wet, windy day, foraging for edibles. Nettles, baby ramps, wild onions, chickweed, wild mustard greens and garlic-mustard all made their way into my bag and eventually, my stomach.

The nettles were quickly sauteed and minced, then folded into a big bowl of grassfed ground beef, sauteed onions, garlic and ginger, along with beaten eggs and plenty of salt and pepper to make wonderful meatballs. I simmered sprouted red lentils with more garlic/ginger/onions, then topped them with butter-caramelized baby ramps and wild onions, and a big handful of crisp chickweed and mustard greens. This was one satifisying meal!

Back to the wine-swilling tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I must say this post has me very curious to try some nettles. It sounds like anything you would make would taste good, but that has me so curious. I liked the info about wine. It may help the next time I go to a restaurant and feel totally helpless when given the wine list. It is always a reminder that I don't know what is best to order with what. Love reading your posts...Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete