Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Believe in Bacon

It's a lucky thing that I haven't suffocated yet. A tray of cinnamon rolls sits on my dresser, beckoning to me. The tray is covered in plastic and I keep pressing my nose into it to inhale the heavenly scent of butter, cinnamon, sweet yeasty dough and vanilla and smoky bacon and brown sugar. BACON?!?!?! Since when does bacon belong in cinnamon rolls? As of today, it does!

Natalie and I first heard of the idea from The Swinery, but decided to take matters into our own hands after being unable to obtain any over winter break. Chef K gave us a recipe for the best sweet dough imaginable (recipe to come soon). We used a half pound of butter and a half pound of rendered bacon fat in the dough, and maple sugar in place of white. We rolled it out and brushed it liberally with more bacon fat and butter, then spread it thick with dark brown sugar and cinnamon and 1 1/2 pounds of cooked bacon pieces. Upon exiting the oven, the rolls were slathered with a simple brown sugar - butter glaze.

It's stupid how good they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment